Thursday, February 10, 2011

Get Ready, Get Set 2 sew part 3

Needles, they tend to scare people. The look of them, the thought of them poking you and causing pain and so many more reasons. The only problem is you can't sew without them! While I sat here tonight thinking about how important the needle is to the creations I make and what I wanted to tell you about them I realized I, myself, didn't know as much about them as I should. I know the basics Ballpoints are used for knit fabrics, Sharps are used for Wovens, and Universal's are useful for both. But if you were to ask me about other types of needles I would look at you and shrug my shoulders. The same goes for the size of the needles. I use what I like, and honestly I found that by trial and error, not exactly the best way to figure something out! Because of this I figured we might as well learn about Needles together, there is no time like the present to learn something new right? So I went on a search to find the most information, the best, and the easiest and this is what I found. If you scroll through the different pages it will explain to you the parts of a needle, the different sizes, and types. Very useful if you ask me!

http://sewing.about.com/od/sewingmachineindex/ig/Sewing-Machine-Needles/Parts-of-a-Needle.--91.htm

It is also important to understand what happens when your needle goes through the fabric and into the hole in the throat plate. Here is a cool image I found that shows you what is going on!

http://kottke.org/10/08/how-machines-work

I hope this gives you more of an understanding of what is going on when you are sewing, and helps you understand all that crazy needle talk! (I know I found all that information useful!)






1 comment:

  1. Just started following, fishie ;-)

    Looking forward to the series. I just got a nice Janome this last Christmas and can't wait to start using it more!

    ReplyDelete