Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Get Ready, Get Set 2 sew part 1

You don't have to spend a ton of money to start sewing, really I promise you that you don't! You just need a basic sewing machine (one that won't give you fits) some fabric, thread and an idea. Maybe a pattern too depending on what project you want to start with! I am going to start a series that is called Get Ready, Get Set 2 Sew. In this Series you are going to learn about the basic items you will need to start our first project a pillow case! Lets start today!

First thing you need is a sewing machine. There are many out there, and they range in price from very cheap to very VERY expensive. You don't need to spend a ton of money to get a good sewing machine. I started out using a Brother SE270D sewing and embroidery machine. http://www.amazon.com/Brother-SE270D-Computerized-Embroidery-Machine/dp/B000BS01KK
I bought mine at Wal-Mart and at the time I spent $500 on it. It was a good machine, it did what I needed it too plus some. Every girls dream, or so I thought. I fast learned that I wanted more and upgraded to a Baby Lock Ellure  http://www.babylock.com/sewing/ellure/  in reality this machine did everything I needed and wanted but for some reason it just wasn't good enough for me. After a year of owning it I upgraded again to a Viking Designer SE LE. http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/us/9501.htm
At the time I thought "I just HAVE to have that sewing machine!" It has all the bells and whistles plus some, now that I have it and have owned it for a year I wish I wouldn't have gone so "BIG". It's hard to travel with, and every time my kids husband or dog even look at my machine I freak out about them breaking it! I do LOVE my machine don't get me wrong, but the point is I didn't have to spend a ton of money (and don't ask me how much it may make you run away and never consider sewing again!) to have a good sewing machine!

Now that you know my sewing machine history lets make sure you learn from my mistakes. Yes you read that right, mistakes. I wish I had done more research and really thought it through before I bought my first machine and then upgraded so many different times! If you just want to start off sewing and you're not worried about anything fancy like machine embroidery I have the perfect machine for you! It is the Kenmore Computerized Sewing Machine with 110 Stitch Functions, the price on this machine is a shockingly low $250.00!! The best part about this machine is it is made by Janome a very highly rated sewing machine company. You just can't beat the price and quality of this machine. If you are looking for one to learn how to sew on I would highly recommend it. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02019110000P?blockNo=2&blockType=G2&prdNo=2&i_cntr=1297281872773
I am sure a lot of you are wondering why I am telling you to spend $250 on a sewing machine, why not just that $100 one you saw at Wal-Mart the other day? That answer is simple, my Best Friend's Husband bought her a cheaper Brother from Wal-Mart a few years ago. From the very start that machine was nothing but trouble. Even I couldn't ever get it to work the right way. If it could aggravate me after only 10 minutes I can't even imagine what it did to her as the beginner! This last Christmas her husband came to me and asked me to research machines for him the Kenmore was the best of the best in the price range he was willing to spend. My point is if you are serious about learning how to sew make sure you start off on the right foot.

~Michelle

5 comments:

  1. Love the idea behind your blog. Just one minor comment...the font is very difficult to read. Other than that, the blog is spiffy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! I can't wait to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rene thanks for pointing that out! I will go change it up ;) It looks fine on my screen but I forget that everyone has their screen settings different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like fun :) I actually have fabric I was planning to make into a pillowcase sitting around waiting for me to get started -and I won't say for how long! Hopefully this will get me moving!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete